Saturday, January 29, 2011

What's different?


Naomi got her ears pierced. I thought about this for a long time. I mean a long time, way before I ever knew I was going to have a little girl. I read all sorts of forums and asked the opinions of other Moms out there. I had my mind made up that she was going to get her ears pierced... and then I held her in my arms for the first time. This really screwed things up. The idea of piercing this beautiful little babies ears all of the sudden seemed like something I could NOT do. How could I hurt my little baby?

So, pretty much since her birth I had changed my mind. There was no way I could do it. Yet, there was one slight problem. Every single time I saw a little baby with her ears pierced I just loved it! So I would ask the Mom how it went and would she do it again. Do you know what? I got the same answer from all of them. A resounding, yes! Yes, they would do it again and they are really happy with it. When I asked Moms who waited until their daughters were older (almost all) said they wished they had done it when their daughter was smaller. The problem is when you wait until the child is older the child will mess with it and it inevitably gets infected. I'm not saying that this will happen all the time, it's just what I have personally been told by friends (other Moms who I trust and I know love their children as much as I love mine). So I made the choice for my daughter and I hope she will thank me when she gets older. Who knows... she could decide she hates them and decide not to wear earrings. If she does, it won't hurt her one bit to take them out and simply not wear them. If she does like them, well she can give me a big kiss and say, thanks Mom... that didn't hurt a bit (at least not that I can remember).

Did she cry? Yes she did, for a minute.

Did her brother cry (when he saw his sister cry)? Yes he did, for a minute.

Did I cry? Yes I did, for a minute.
Then I gave both my kids a big hug and an even bigger kiss.
Would I do it again? Yes.