I must say that this Christmas is like no other. Mikey had the most wonderful time. Mikey came downstairs Christmas morning and his face just lit up with a smile ear to ear. Then he burst into the air and ran around the tree to check everything out. What an amazing site indeed. It took a while to unwrap the gifts as he had to thoroughly inspect each gift before he could unwrap the next. Mikey played and he played hard. I sat by the tree passing out gifts as I remember my Mother doing from my childhood. It was as though the torch was officially passed to me this year. I was in a lot of pain from my surgery 2 days prior, but I would not let that stop me from doing my job. I did it with a great sense of pride. Then when all was said and done, I stood in my husbands arms as we admired our beautiful little boy playing with each of his new treasures. It was a moment I hope to never forget. There were empty boxes thrown about, pieces of glittering wrapping paper, left to be picked up, decorating the floor. It was a wonderful holiday this year and the only thing that I would change would be if I could of had my father here with us (and maybe to have surgery at a different time of year).
I'm sure there are people wondering about my surgery. I've debated as to whether or not I want to blog about my surgery. I guess I have decided to. This blog is about all of us and this is a very big part of our life and our story. As you may know we've been trying to have another baby and it has been a heart wrenching experience for us. I have miscarried twice since having Mikey. Unfortunately with each miscarriage I have ended up hospitalized due to extreme hemorrhaging. After the second miscarriage I was left afraid that my desire to have another baby would possibly result in me not being around to watch Mikey grow up. That is NOT an option for me. So we decided to have some tests done to make sure I could have a baby safely. The tests showed that more than half of my uterus was filled with either extreme scar tissue (from the D&C's) or a septum. There was no way to tell until I had surgery and there was no way to have another baby with my uterus in that condition. So, on the 23rd my Mom and Grandma stayed home and took care of Mikey. Mike and I got into the volvo (my x-mas present from my lovely hubby) and we made our way to the hospital in Madison so I could have this surgery. I was so incredibly nervous. I didn't want my hubby to know, I wanted to be brave for my surgeon hubby. Silly right? I was also afraid that I wouldn't wake up from anesthesia to spend x-mas or any other day for that matter with my family. Yet, I am here with my family and typing this for all my loved ones out there.
Anyhow, I woke up. I woke up and I threw up. I was in the worst pain of my life. I'm still on the fence as to if this hurt worse than labor.... ok maybe labor is worse. This is right behind it though. I really didn't think this would hurt that bad. I had a laparoscopy and a hysteroscopy , four incisions were made. The surgeons found that I had a large asymmetrical septum in my uterus and a bad case of endometriosis. The septum was removed thus unblocking my fallopian tube and opening up my uterus. The septum has been there since I was born and is the reason Mikey came out 8 weeks early. The poor baby was pushed out by this damn thing. The good news is that I should be able to carry a baby full term now. Whoa-whoo! The bad news is the endometriosis they removed has a very big chance of coming back and with a vengeance. So by doctors orders Mike and I will start trying to have a baby right after I heal. I'm on estrogen to help establish a nice lining in my uterus for the baby to attach to. While pregnant the progesterone created by my body will help keep the endometriosis at bay. However, once I have the baby there is a high likelihood that the endometriosis will come back and possibly be worse. I had this stuff all over my insides including the outside of my uterus and the largest nodule my surgeon had ever seen on my bowels! Great, right? I'm of the mindset right now that I will worry about that once I get there. Right now we are so happy that we have the opportunity to have another baby. We have a great shot at having healthy full term pregnancy. All I want is one more baby. I'm not greedy, I just want a sibling for my son and another baby to shower with love, snuggles and kisses. So all in all this is a very merry time for my family. It's a time for hope and the prospect of new life. We wish all our loved ones near and far an especially wonderful holiday and happiness in the new year!!!!