Sunday, June 27, 2010

Survival

You've got to love those lovely summer flu bugs, right? Not so much. Unfortunately, over the course of the last two weeks Mikey and I have been sick, sick, sick. First of us was Mikey. Just as Grandpa was leaving town, Mikey started developing mild fevers on and off. The poor kid was congested and it looked as though he had a flu.... no big deal. About a week later he looked like he was doing better so we decided to join Daddy for a few days in Chicago. We drove down Thurs afternoon and had a good day. Mike had a work dinner to go to so Mikey and I strolled up and down the Magnificent mile and went to dinner together. It was a nice evening. We went back to the hotel and we played trains and watched Thomas together. I was happy as I even had Mikey sound asleep by 8:15 which left me some quiet time. However, I was exhausted. So I decided to take advantage and go to bed early. I was asleep by 9:00. It was lovely. By 10:30 I received a text from my hubby saying he was going to have another beer with the guys. In this hour and a half, I woke feeling not so lovely. I could feel the congestion in my head and man was my body ever aching. Crap! I was getting sick. So I closed my eyes in hope that a bit more sleep might leave me waking next time feeling better. Not so much. Long story short I woke the next day sick. I tried my best to suck it up and packed Mikey up in the stroller and went out for some breakfast and shopping. I quickly realized that I was in no shape to keep up with my 3 year old in Chicago. By the second store and the 10th time losing Mikey in a game of hide and seek I did NOT want to play, I strapped him back in the stroller and called it quits. We went to the hotel where I took some tylenol and dozed on and off for the next few hours waiting for Daddy to come and provide some much needed help with our kid. By the time Daddy got back I'd had a bit of rest and decided that I was up to venturing out with him again. We went shopping and out to dinner. I must say that even though I was under the weather it was a lovely evening. Little did I know what was in store for us.... Mikey woke around 11:30 screaming bloody murder. I had a fever and I had a kid who desperately needed his Mommy. I sat in bed holding him and trying my best to console my inconsolable boy. He keep saying over and over, "my ear, my ear hurts Mommy!" The poor kid had a nasty ear infection. Chicago was not proving to be good to either of us. We made it through the night and first thing in the morning I looked at Mike and said let's get outta here. I want to go home! We made the 5 hour drive back with Mikey and myself sleeping most of the way. Luckily, with the help of some antibiotics Mikey was feeling more like himself by the following evening. I, however, am just now starting to feel better. 10 days later.
So that is my survival story... at least part of it. I figured no one cares to hear about the boring week we had while Mommy laid on the couch only to get up to feed Mikey and take him to the potty. I was pathetic. Mikey was wonderful though. He would come over to me every hour or so and ask if I was still not feeling well. I would confirm, "No honey, Mommy is still not feeling well." He would then say "Mommy needs to sleep" and I would agree and close my eyes. He would go back to playing trains so nicely by himself. Poor kid... he was a trooper and I will never forget what a good boy he was for me so I could get better.
Once feeling human again I must admit I've been trying to make up for lost time. I took Mikey to a strawberry patch and we picked berries. We've played trains together for many, many hours. We've gone on walks and are starting to get back to a normal life.
So here are some pics from the last month.
Let's catch up with photos... my favorite way!



We did a 2 mile walk for the Cheese Chase. A local charity to help kids. Yup, we were the last ones to cross the finish line. We were enjoying the scenery. The walk wrapped around the zoo... it was pretty cool.


After there was a fair and did Mikey ever have fun. Mikey kept sneaking in all the bouncy houses. We had tickets but he refused to wait in line. Anytime we would look away he would kick his shoes off and sneak in the bouncy house. Crazy kid.

Pop balloon!


His favorite in the whole world... vanilla ice cream!



We found a good buddy of his while strolling around. They were so happy to see each other.


Happy guys!


The next day there was the Marshfield parade.

Of course there has to be a cow... we are in dairy land right?


Father and son


My patriots


My American boy...


Ok so he just loves flags

Yea! Grandpa Mike is here!!!

Mikey had a great time playing with his Grandpa

Good times around the kitchen table.


Mikey's first time fishing....

First, Grandpa showed him how to find his own worms.

Mikey at the fishing site.

They caught at least 10 fish... no joke!

Mikey discovered that fish are slimey and sharp... those are his words.

A big one.


Mikey showing me his worms that came with the fishing pole.



Helping Grandpa



Pretty amazing, huh?


Mikey was sooo proud of himself.


A little sun fish.

The strawberry patch
Mikey did not like how muddy it was

I think he had fun but he just could not get over the fact that he was so dirty.
First thing we did was shower up when we got home. Then he got down to eating lots and lots of strawberries.


Not too bad...

Delicious!

We went to our friends b-day party Friday night. Mikey and their son are good friends so Mikey was more excited about the party than we were. This is him as we were leaving the house.

Mikey and Henry attacking Daddy.

Get him boys!

That night there was a pretty bad storm. No big deal...
This is what we woke up to.


At least Mike had a good sense of humor about it.


Muscle man!