
A year ago today I was lying in a hospital bed in Jacksonville, FL listening to the sound of my son's heartbeat from the monitors. The previous evening in the middle of the night I woke to a warm feeling between my legs. I must admit the first thought that came to my head was not... oh crap, my water just broke. No... it was more along the lines... did I just wet the bed??? Sure enough.... I didn't wet the bed, although things would have been much easier had I wet the bed. You see I was only 32 weeks pregnant. Just a little too early for my water to break. So off we frantically went to the hospital (with not even a bag as I had not thought to pack one yet). Who packs a bag for the hospital with 8 weeks to go? Okay... I'm sure some smart people are prepared... I however, was not. Not for any of it.
You see, Mike and I were supposed to have a beautiful beach wedding that following Saturday with our family and a few close friends. I had everything ready and I felt good about our upcoming wedding. I was dreaming about my Dad walking me down the boardwalk to give me away to my handsome husband to be. Well, a dream it was. We were informed at the hospital that I would not be going anywhere until the baby came and they (all of us in fact) were hoping that the baby would stay right where he was for a good bit longer.
So, we realized that our wedding was not going to take place... at least not the way we had planned. I can't remember for the life of me (I've been trying to remember all day) who's idea it was? Did Smoochie think of it or did I? Oh well, one of us came up with the idea not to wait until we left the hospital. We thought, hey... let's go ahead and get married here! So we called and had our new plan put into action. We would get married that night. So, with my Mom on speaker phone, Mike's Mom on speaker phone and my Dad and step-Mom present we tied the knot in my hospital bed. As we said our vows to each other we heard our son's steady heart beat on the monitor. Some might say we were crazy... I think it was the most romantic of any wedding I've ever attended. So my dress was a pink hospital gown and we made my bouquet out of flowers that some friends had sent us. We had each other and that was all that mattered. To this day, no matter what comes my way I know that we will be okay.
I love my husband so much! He has a wonderful spontaneity about him that always has a way of brightening any day. He gave me the most beautiful son and we have another miracle on the way. I know I can always count on him and in this day and age, that is a miracle. He's a sexy husband, witty friend and a fantastic father. In short, I'm blessed and so lucky to have him in my life. I love you very much Smoochie and can't imagine my world without you in it. Thank you for all you do and the love you bestow on me. Happy Anniversary!