Elderly behind the wheel: Good or bad idea?
What is elderly anyway? It's the constant debate. One person at 75 may look and feel like a 50 year old and vice versa. The "elderly" feel as though they are being discriminated against when the DMV enforces more tests to renew their driver's license. They are victims of ageism they say. I need to preface with I have nothing wrong with elderly people. I love my Grandmother and think she is fantastic. I know a lot of great people that would fall into the elderly group. There is nothing wrong with it, I aspire to fall into this very group one day myself.
Now, back to where I was going with this. Ageism... come on now. We all know that as you get older you don't function the same way you used to. I know it's a big downer... but is your pride really so big that you want to risk other's lives just so you can drive? Yes, risk other peoples lives... your own too!!! 75 is the magic number (79 in some states) set by the DMV for more rigorous tests (if you can call them that) to renew your drivers license. Personally, I think it should be more around 65 or 70. Let's face it. The elderly hide behind ageism so they can still hold on to their freedom. Would you hide behind it if you knew that you would still be able to pass the "rigorous" driving tests? Probably not!
This is a huge problem. HUGE! I was looking through some articles and can you believe that the most recent study on the accident rate of elderly is 1997? The only age group they do better than are the teenagers. I mean come on... they at least have a legit excuse. They are LEARNING how to drive! The elderly have been driving for how many years? Let's see... even if they didn't start driving until the age of 20 by the time they are 70, that is a whooping 50 years of experience. Yet, the number of accidents are far too many.
Let's face it, hearing and vision just are not the same. The majority of accidents are left turn accidents. Let's not forget the stepping on the wrong pedal which I've heard all too many times. It isn't just age itself, elderly people can also develop debilitating conditions that put them and others at risk. You know I find it really sad. I know you are getting older and you don't want to lose your independence. On the flip side, how would you feel if your son or daughter or even your grandson/daughter where killed in an accident caused by an elderly person that just plain should NOT have been behind the wheel? But, did not want to loose his/her independence. Is your independence really worth another persons life?
I don't think so and I bet you don't either. I know my Mom doesn't think so. I know Sue's family doesn't think so. I know Dr. Vasa's family doesn't think so. Sue and Dr. Vasa worked with my mother at the Brockton Hospital. It was just another day at work. Dr. Vasa was a radiation oncologist treating cancer patients and Sue was the receptionist there. They were standing at the front desk when all of a sudden a car came crashing through the double front doors taking both of their lives. The driver... a 76 year old breast cancer patient. What happened you might ask. The car didn't stop. That is right, the car didn't stop. She had to take two different turns to make it through those doors... not an easy task my friends. The investigators were probing whether there was a mechanical problem with the car or whether the accident was the result of driver error. Unfortunately, I could not find anything following up on the crash to determine which it was. The driver's license was revoked after the accident. A little late wouldn't you say? Then again, wouldn't it be a bigger crime to lose your independence?
My heart goes out to everyone out there who has lost a loved one due to something like this. I guess that is why I felt I needed to write this. It has been on my mind a lot lately. I felt I needed to write this and put it down on paper. If you know someone who shouldn't be driving anymore... talk to them. Just think... you just might save a life or two.