Monday, February 01, 2010

Oh deer....










These beautiful creatures have been gracing us with their presence almost daily. This is the first time I've seen them in the middle of the day. I about jumped right out of my shoes when I walked in the kitchen and caught something move out of the corner of me eye. I was home alone and it's such a rare thing that I must admit I get a little jumpy at the slightest sound. Anyhow, we both (at first it was just the one doe) just froze and quietly stared at each other. I must admit for as (briefly) frightened as I was I didn't want to scare her off. I know I shouldn't think this way. In the spring I'm not going to want her hanging around munching on my garden I'm planning for that very spot. Yet in the spring there will be lots of fresh green grass and other wild plants and shrubs that she won't need to come and empty my bird feeder (nonetheless eat my garden). Right? Right. In the meantime it's freaking cold here and the deer are running out of things to eat. I can't help but feel bad for them. My lovely neighbor summed it up best when she said she was going to start calling me Cinderella from now on. I always feel bad for the creatures and critters. Yes, even when they can be destructive. I know I will have to take measures in the spring to keep these girls out of my garden. For now, they can stop by anytime they like for a snack or two. I will say it again, aren't they beautiful?